is nobody going to talk about the blue persian or
is nobody going to talk about the blue persian or
When the Wolf Eats the Moon turned 2 today!
I got this email today and had a moment where I was very much confused because I was unaware that I had been around a whole two years.
Thanks to those who have stuck around as I’ve slid through fandoms and phases and have vacillated between active and asleep and undoubtedly shown bits of myself that you did not originally sign up for. And welcome to the new kids, the most recent twenty or so of you that I was shocked to receive notifications for, whose blogs are wonderful but so far away from my own that I wonder what I did that interests you. I think you’re all great, and appreciate that you made the decision to devote even a small portion of your dash to my silliness.
I love how holidays just reinforce how much I hate myself and how I lack the ability to function. It’s really a refreshing reminder of my own failings when I am hurt by being subjected to double standards and then told I am taking things too seriously. It’s great that my mother is aware that I have brain chemistry issues and then proceeds to fault me for behaviors I try to modify but cannot completely erase thanks to the way I’m put together. It’s wonderful to not fit in anywhere because I am a cast off in my own family.
Let’s shout it for the cheap seats:
Reverse racism is a white defense created to cover the user’s own racist beliefs!
Using the defense “well I know lots of POC that are racist against/don’t like white people” is a shitty way of saying “I’m a racist and fail to recognize that I am part of an oppressing group that pretty much deserves every goddamn bit of the hate received because of either active discrimination/violence or complacency!”
Just because you have POC friends or significant others or coworkers that you are cool with does not exclude you from racist or problematic behaviors!
Saying you “don’t see color” is a cop-out to erase the experiences and grievances of POC in a way that you think removes the blame from your own skin!
Oh so only people of color can have issues? Only people of color can struggle? Also, making a statement/opinion doesn’t make me racist either go on somewhere with your uselessness.
THIS JUST IN FOLKS: OPINIONS CAN’T BE RACIST! LOOK, I THINK THINGS ABOUT STUFF, SO THEREFORE, I MUST NOT BE A RACIST!
Nice try, though, with the “but white people have issues too!!!” argument, that’s just cute. As a white person, is my life magically devoid of problems? Nope, not at all, but guess what? I will never have to face the institutionalized oppression INVOLUNTARILY experienced by people of color simply because I exist. I can shop anywhere I damn well please, and no manager, no supervisor will tell the employees working the floor to trail me if I walk in with a group of my friends. As a white person I don’t have to fear for my life simply when I speak up for myself in a public forum, in educational settings, and on the internet. As a white person, I can talk shit to you as much as I damn well please without having to worry about my tone, about my opinions, I don’t have to check myself or risk my argument being invalidated simply because I’m upset by something. I can saunter up into any establishment I like and feel confident that the operators 1: want my money, and 2: won’t ask me to leave simply for being present there. I can encounter police officers when going about my business without having to worry about Stop And Frisk, without them demanding (not asking) to see my ID. My family wouldn’t have to advocate and campaign and petition and network simply to get my murderer or rapist to even appear once in court, or even be acknowledged by media at all, if something were to happen to me. I don’t have to fight my way to establishing a safe space, because every space is automatically safe for me. I could get arrested and not serve any jailtime at all for an offense that would earn, for instance, a black male in middle school a life sentence. As a white woman, I can read articles about feminism and feel confident that the author probably shares multiple identities with me, and that my experience won’t be erased because it’s “not universal,” or “too controversial, we need to focus on the issues faced by all women right now.” If I were a trans* white person, I would be statistically much less likely to be the victim of a hate crime targeting my gender identity/expression. As a white person I am overwhelmingly less likely to be the victim of a hate crime PERIOD.
You appear to be living in a fantasy world; a world where people who call you on your bullshit are apparently also saying that white people don’t have problems. Hi, I’m a white cis female, and i have a mental illness and a mild physical impairment. I’ve also received death threats for being gay. ******This is me officially telling you that I am not saying that white people are free from issues because of their whiteness.*******
Another important tenet of your fantasy world is that calling attention to the world’s problems *apparently* perpetuates them. Guess I’d better not call 911 when a car crash happens, because by your logic that would only cause more car accidents! Telling people about car accidents will only keep car accidents happening, gosh why am I so insistent on keeping violence and injury alive in our society????? Some people, I swear. “Hate” isn’t some verbally-communicable miasma, and it sure as hell doesn’t stop existing simply by pretending it doesn’t exist.
GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT!
The company GoldieBox, is one of four finalists for a chance to air a commercial during the SuperBowl.
What is their commercial about you ask? It’s about supporting girls to become female engineers.
Here’s the letter from the company:
"Dear friends and supporters of GoldieBlox,2. Forward this email to family, friends and colleagues (extra bonus points for company and community list-servs).Please help us in achieving this dream. Here’s how:I have huge news. Several months ago, we applied to a contest run by Intuit to win an ad in the Superbowl. Out of 15,000 applicants, our company was selected as a Top 4 Finalist. Now, we have the next 3 weeks to garner as many public votes as possible to win the grand prize: a 30 second spot in the 3rd quarter of the Superbowl.Not only would this be an enormous game-changer for our company, but it is an opportunity to get our mission in front of over 100 million viewers around the world. We have the chance to spark an interest in engineering and technology to girls everywhere. To let them know they are more than just princesses! To truly disrupt the pink aisle! I get goosebumps at just the thought of the impact this ad could make on our culture, the conversations it could start at the dinner table, and all the girls it could inspire.
You can vote here: http://bit.ly/Vote4Goldie
1. Vote now (every vote, every day counts)3. Post the link on Facebook, Twitter and/or your social media of choice (a graphic is attached for easy posting)This is our chance to make history. Thank you for being a part of it.Let’s win this thing!
Vote to support girls in STEM!
This is pretty serious stuff. Bayer might be about to overturn the EC’s decision to ban the pesticides implicated in killing off the bees! If they win this case, it could be truly disastrous for both the bees and our own future. Please share, and please see the SumOfUs link (no affiliation) to make a donation to help the campaign to save the bees.
Early in 2013, the European Food Safety Authority stated that three specific neonicotinoid insecticides (imidacloprid, clothianidin, and thiamethoxam) pose an acute risk to honeybees, and the European Commission proposed a two-year ban on them.
This is due to go into effect on Dec 1st – and the ban was introduced because of mounting scientific evidence that these insecticides, produced by Syngenta and Bayer, have been the agents responsible for Colony Collapse Disorder – a major problem threatening both the bees and the safety of our own food supply!
However in a horrifying twist, and despite huge public opposition, Syngenta and Bayer are now suing the European Commission over their “right” to continue to produce the pesticides which have been implicated in the massive die-off of millions of bees. Yes, their “right”. Because as we know, corporations’ sole agenda is to make money. They cannot let a trivial thing like nature get in their way.
These insecticides continue to be produced and used on a vast scale in the USA and in other countries and are huge moneymakers for the chemical corporations…
This threw up a few red flags when some of the links led to wiki pages but I looked up the lawsuit and it seems to be legit. Bayer is trying to lift the ban on pesticides that have been linked to the death of millions of bees in Europe. This is, unquestionably, terrible enough on its own, because bees are amazing little insects and deserve all our love, but if all the bees in the world go extinct, human life as we know it will change drastically. Produce will virtually cease to exist. That is a big freaking deal.
In addition to the donation page listed above, SumOfUs also has a petition going around that is still in need of signatures to help stop this. And it needs to be stopped. We cannot risk losing any more bees.
Bees get a pretty bad rap, but honestly? The scary, stingy things you’re afraid of? Most likely wasps. Bees, particularly honeybees and bumblebees, are just these fluffy little cuddle balls that fly around and pollinate stuff. They won’t sting you unless you’re a direct threat to them, because if they sting you, they’ll die. Don’t be scared of bees. Be scared for bees.
I’ve done as much looking around as I can because I know Tumblr is a cesspool of misinformation, and this looks as legit as it gets. Please tell people, sign the petition, and donate if you can.
And in the meantime, if you’re a gardner, please try to encourage bees to come to your garden. You can use the tips listed here. There’s also some information about different kinds of bees you might run into, in case you’d like to learn more about bees and why they’re wonderful.
Thanks for reading, guys. Please share this.
REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT, REALLY REALLY FUCJING IMPORTANT
TYPHOON HAIYAN RIPS THROUGH CENTRAL PHILIPPINES
Typhoon Haiyan is a Category 5 storm, the strongest typhoon of 2013 and said to be the “most powerful ever” to make landfall (with winds near 195-200 mph). Perspective: Superstorm Sandy was at 95mph when it hit New Jersey; Hurricane Katrina at 129mph when it hit land.
- Pre-emptive evacuations affect more than 161,000 families or more than 790,000 people in 37 provinces
- Typhoon Haiyan as seen from space
- Haiyan makes 6 landfalls - it affected an island chain in the central Philippines, making landfall in six islands. It gained wind power as it traversed through waters in between.
- Haiyan traverses areas affected by magnitude 7.1 earthquake - The earthquake left more than 200 dead dead on October 16; 1000 injured; 350,000 displaced. The survivors have been living in tents and evacuation areas. It passed through Leyte, Samar, Cebu (2.5 million residents), among others. All with densely populated cities, some of which are the poorest provinces in the country.
- 100 people killed in Tacloban — first estimate of casualties in the city reported today, November 9. Because the communication lines are down, the news centers have yet to take stock of the full extent of the damage. But the numbers are still expected to rise. The devastation was described as if a tsunami had wracked through it.
- 2:03PM 11/9: An estimated 4 million people have been affected by the typhoon
- 4:20PM 11/9: 90% of Baco Town in Oriental Mindoro flooded
- 4:55 PM 11/9: Bodies still scattered in Leyte as Visayas in shock
- 5:19PM 11/9: Negros Occidental under a state of calamity
- 7:34PM 11/9: Local officials expect the number of bodies found in Tacloban to reach 500
- eta: 7:45PM 11/9: Iloilo and Palawan declare state of calamity
- eta: 8:04PM 11/9: Update: 134 reported dead
- eta: 8:30PM 11/9: Thousands homeless in Ormoc, Leyte
- eta3: 10PM 11/9: Red Cross estimates 1,200 casualties
- eta3: 3AM 11/10: Aerial photo of Bantayan Island after Haiyan
- eta3: 3:23AM 11/10: At least 200 believed dead in Eastern Samar
- eta4: 11/0: Latest death toll could be 10,000
The victims need all the help they can get. Cities have been leveled, buildings made of concrete were destroyed by strong winds and storm surges. Communications have yet to be reestablished in most of the areas affected by the typhoon. The full picture left behind by Haiyan has yet to be established yet the devastation reported on television is already extensive. The government is bracing for large-scale relief operations. Virtually 1/3 of the country has been ravaged by this natural disaster. And we need help.
HOW THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CAN HELP
- donations via the Philippine Red Cross (including PayPal)
- donations via Habitat for Humanity
- donations via ANCOP Foundation USA
- eta: donations via UNICEF Philippines
- eta2: donations via CARE Australia
- eta2: donations via Caritas Internationalis
- eta2: donations via GMA Network (credit card)
- eta2: donations via World Vision
- eta2: donations via AmeriCares
- eta2: donations via Samaritan’s Purse (Canada)
- eta2: donations via Canadian Red Cross (or you can text REDCROSS or ROUGE to 30333 to donate $5)
FOR THOSE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- text donations via Globe
- Red Cross and DSWD relief operations (infographic)
- list of ongoing relief operations via Rappler
- donations via ABS-CBN News
- eta: relief operations via University of the Philippines
- eta: relief operations via the Department of Education
- eta: pick-up locations for donations via Air 21
HOW TO FILE FOR MISSING PERSONS
ETA: AFTERMATH UPDATES
Please reblog and add other details I might’ve missed!